It’s the last day of January as this post goes up, and I know a lot of you are already feeling like you’ve failed in what you hoped to accomplish in this new year.
I just want to stop everything right now and tell you that you are not a failure.
Seriously, y’all. It’s not too late to turn things around. His mercies are new every morning. Just because you caved and ate some pizza and chocolate two weeks into your new diet (…or maybe that’s just me) or haven’t even gotten started yet on your decluttering project (again, maybe just me) doesn’t mean you’ve failed and should give up. You’ve still got 11 months left to meet your goals for 2017 (and if some of them have to get pushed to 2018 it’s probably not that big a deal–the world probably isn’t actually going to end before then despite what the media says and you’ll still have time. Life is a marathon, not a race).
I hate New Year’s Resolutions — they set you up to feel like a failure and a loser. That’s why I’ve been moving away from setting major, concrete goals and instead making tweaks and edits to how I do life as I go (more on that in a future post). There’s no deadline and no expiration date. Just prayerful self-examination and asking God to order my steps and show me which way is best.
With God, every new day is a fresh start. Amen.
For those of you who need some encouragement or motivation, a different perspective, or maybe a little help, here are some links that might speak to where you’re at right now.
- Stop setting stupid goals and Master the Bullet Journal at The Lazy Genius Collective – Kendra is full of wisdom when it comes to keeping it together without driving yourself insane. And if you’ve been thinking about trying bullet journaling she can tell you everything you need to know.
- Four Reasons to Slow Down – Desiring God
- Praying for Peace instead of Resolutions by Mary Carver for Mothers of Daughters
- 3 Questions to Ask Before You Declutter at The Art of Simple
- What to Do When You’re Just Overwhelmed at Proverbs 31 Ministries
- And from the archives: What Matters Most (ICYMI last week) and Loving My Actual House
How’s your New Year going so far? Did your January go according to plan or was it a disaster? Have any additional links to share? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
PS: Find more encouragement for your soul at these linkups:
PPS: Looking for some a-MAZ-ing tools and resources to help you be more productive, write better and/or generally do life while keeping your sanity? I’ve got the goods — sign up to receive Daydreamer Dispatches, a once- or twice-a-month newsletter from yours truly, and you’ll automatically receive a super-sekrit link to My Absolute Must-Have, Can’t Live Without Tools and Resources list! Click here to get your link!